A small, but significant, series within the J. Taylor and Kathryn T. Stanley papers documents the Galangue Mission, which, in 1923, was the first mission founded and staffed by African Americans in Angola and was administered by the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions (ABCFM). This series consists primarily of correspondence, dating mostly from 1923-1927, with some additional letters from 1938-1955. Principal correspondents include missionaries Samuel B. Coles, Henry C. McDowell, and William C. Bell, as well as ABCFM treasurer Harold B. Belcher and secretary of the Angola Sustaining Committee Alfred K. Lawless. In their letters, the missionaries report on their efforts and activities, as well as local communities and their travels. A significant portion of the correspondence also concerns financial support for the mission.
Other records concerning the mission include administrative reports, financial documents, and publications regarding the ABCFM’s work in Africa. Reports highlight a hospital founded at the mission, the Galangue Church, and Samuel B. Coles’ agricultural work at the mission. Rev. Coles’ work is also documented in a small collection of his papers at Amistad.
Below are selections that document the work and ministry at the Galangue Mission.
Posted by Christopher Harter